the chocolate peanut butter gallery

a site dedicated to the world's two best ingredients

Misha’s Cupcakes

July 16th, 2008

Mischas Cupcakes

There has been an intense on-going debate for who makes the best cupcake in NYC. There are the Magnolia lovers and the Magnolia haters. There are lists upon lists and arguments upon arguments. Well, I’m here to settle the debate for you.

The best cupcake is NOT in NYC.

It’s in Florida. At a chain called Misha’s Cupcakes.

This is the second time I’ve had these cupcakes. The first time they were shipped to me by my friend Carla. Yes – shipped. How did the cupcakes look after the shipping?

shipped cupcakes

Not so great. These came to me five days after they were baked because we kept missing the UPS guy and we were pretty skeptical of how they’d taste being old and well… mashed. But my friend went through the trouble of buying and shipping them so of course we had to taste. How did the cupcakes taste after the shipping?

UNBELIEVABLE! How could it be possible that the best store-bought cupcake I had ever had sat in a box for a few days and came from Florida, not NYC? Florida isn’t even on my cupcake radar, while NYC / Magnolia is all I hear about when it comes to cupcakes! This experience truly turned my cupcake world upside down.

Mishas Cupcakes

Mischas Cupcakes

The top pic is the marble cake with vanilla frosting, the second is vanilla cake with vanilla frosting, and the third is a little Red Velvet that has chocolate chips, topped with vanilla frosting. Mmmm…

They are by far the moistest and most flavorful cupcakes I’ve ever gotten from a bakery. Carla is determined to figure out the secret. She went through at least a few batches of cupcakes already, changing up the recipe to see if she could match Misha’s. They are that good – totally worth the effort. The chocolate and vanilla are great but the Marble is probably my favorite. Mischa says on her website that she started baking cupcakes using her mom’s chocolate cake recipe, and used it to formulate her own vanilla recipe.

And the icing?! Also delicious. The vanilla is great, but I also love the coconut.

If you’re skeptical of me if I’m hating on your favorite cupcakery, I’ve had some of the “best” cupcakes in NYC: Magnolia, Sugar Sweet Sunshine, Billy’s, Crumbs, Babycakes, etc. All good (well I was pretty eh about Babycakes) but none hold a candle to Misha’s. I’ll just hold on to hope that they open a store up here so I don’t have to bug someone to bring em back on a plane for me, or do it myself.

And incase you’re wondering where the chocolate and peanut butter is in this post, Misha’s sells both chocolate and peanut butter cupcakes, which makes it a great place to get your CPB fix! Sadly I haven’t gotten my hands on the peanut butter yet, but it’s definitely a motivating factor for taking a trip to Florida. :D I’ll have to keep you posted on whether or not the peanut butter lives up to the deliciousness of it’s peers.

16 responses so far:

• Wow, I’m impressed. I didn’t think anything could beat magnolia’s. That picture of the smashed up cupcakes is awesome, quite impressive they are the best you’ve ever had!

by NickJul 16, 2008 at 9:59 am
  • I used to work at Buttercup Bake Shop several blue moons ago, but I agree! I don’t see what all the Hoopla is about Magnolia’s/Buttercup (same founders, split founders and shops). I actually really like Sugar Sweet Sunshine, the cakes are moist- I love the pistachio cupcakes. Misha’s, too bad I am never in Florida.

by Green GourmandJul 16, 2008 at 1:31 pm
  • I have had magnolia’s and all the rest you cupcakes lovers mentioned. You guys should really try Buttercream cupcakes in Coral Gables. They put Misha’s to shame. You will blow out your candle and move on to Buttercream cupcakes. Try the peanut butter and vanilla chocolate they are my favorite. They rule in FLA. Ship them to your friend carla, and she will be a fan.

by jamesJul 16, 2008 at 6:39 pm
  • I’ve never understood the raves that Magnolia gets. Yes their good cupcakes, but there’s tons of GOOD cupcakes nowadays. They’re not all that noteworthy in my book. Your pics make me wanna try Misha’s :)

Have a delicious day!

by EmJul 18, 2008 at 2:14 pm
  • I think that the best cupcakes are in London, South Kensington, in fact, at Hummingbird Bakery. Even after moving back to the States, I still dream of those cupcakes. I could eat one every day for the rest of my life.

by HeatherJul 19, 2008 at 3:23 pm
  • [...] good, so it wasn’t that I had low expectations of Molly’s, but after indulging in half a dozen of Misha’s Cupcakes the week before, I didn’t expect to be blown out of the [...]

• I have had buttercream’s cupcakes….and they are great….but nothing beats Misha’s!!!!

by CarlaAug 4, 2008 at 12:37 pm
  • [...] sent me the Nestle Toll House Best Loved Recipes CookBook for my birthday (along with some more Misha’s Cupcakes!! YUM!). After flipping through it for a couple of minutes, I came across the recipe for Petit Pain [...]

• so did your friend ever figure out the recipe!?! i’d love to try them out!

by kristenSep 17, 2008 at 12:36 pm
  • Do you have a recipe that comes close to Misha’s moist vanilla cupcakes. My friend wants me to bake them for her son’s bar mitzvah. Thanks
    Sherrie

by sherrie Le MaireSep 18, 2008 at 11:09 am
  • does anyone know the type of chocolate mischa uses in her chocolate cake cupcakes? i knew what it was and it has completely slipped my mind!

by leslieOct 12, 2008 at 11:12 pm
  • Misha’s Cupcakes, been there, done that, gag me! WAY too oily…. Buttercream, good but nothing out of this world… LA Sweets, freaking AWESOME, by far the best cupcakes in Miami…

by SarahFeb 15, 2009 at 6:32 pm
  • …word on the street is that Misha’s is opening in Philadelphia very soon!

by inaFeb 18, 2010 at 2:02 am
  • I am crazy about these cupcakes! Have you been able to find a recipe close to Misha’s delish cupcakes? I want to make them for my gf. Please inform me if you have a recipe like theirs. Thank you!

by JohnMay 28, 2011 at 2:22 am
  • Hi John, Unfortunately I have not yet found a recipe like Misha’s but I will be sure to let you and all the other cupcake lovers know if I do! :)

by kristinaMay 31, 2011 at 11:26 am
  • Just went to Miami in July and fell in love with mishas!!! Have had a lot of cupcakes but none this awesomely moist and good!

by Patrice RileySep 13, 2011 at 11:47 pm